Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Random Barcelona church pics

Okay, there are a million churches in Europe and I feel like I've seen most of them, so I don't really even bother with taking church pics anymore. Especially inside, which feels a littleoffensive. And most of the big churches in Barcelona had construction scaffoldings all around, which marred the look. (Interestingly, I saw tons of scaffolding, but never any workers. Much like road construction in Minnesota.) The first pic is of Santa Maria del Pi, which had a cute little food market going on outside. The second two are of Saint Pau, which was really old and medieval, and has an adorable little courtyard. Somewhere in the church, I could hear monks singing hymns.

In all the churches, you can buy a candle for a Euro or two to light at the altar of your favorite saint. In one church, I bought a candle, which the man handed to me. Then I asked for a match, and he pushed a box full of wax stems towards me. I picked one up and was totally confused--it's just a wax stem, it doesn't light. He makes this motion like, ''You put the stem up to a lit candle, then use it to light your candle, duh.'' So I kind of giggled, all embarrassed and he smiled at me like I was a silly girl. I wanted to say, ''At home, I'm not this stupid, I swear!'' I went and lit a light at San Isidro, who is the patron saint of farmers. Where I grew up, my family would go to Saint Isidore's church, and he also didn't have as many lit offerings as the other saints so I wanted to hook a brother up.






No comments:

Post a Comment