Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Le Marais: My 'hood in Paris

I'm renting an an apartment in the Marais area of Paris, in the 3rd arrondissement. I wasn't really familiar with this area--I've always stayed in the 6th before--but I couldn't find an apartment in the 6th, and I heard this area was pretty hot and happening. I'm really glad I did because I LOVE it here. Lots of cute boutique shops, bars and restaurants every few feet, but not touristy; it still has a residential feel. Very artsy. Did I mention lots of cool shops? Yeah. But I may have to stop eating so I can afford them.

My apartment is a studio, with a little kitchen and bathroom and windows overlooking a quiet courtyard. I couldn't be happier with it! Queen bed, which is notable because a lot of the apartments here have fold-out or murphy beds. And a T.V. that has U.S. channels! Just Bloomberg and CNBC, but it helps me feel connected. I did find something the other night that looked like a French version of Skinemax. It helps me learn the language. And a computer, so I can update this blog!

Street view of Rue des Tournelles:













My courtyard.

Just a block away is the Place des Vosges, which is often referred to as the ''prettiest square in Paris.'' My guidebook actually says, ''Walking into this magical Renaissance square is like walking into a soignée Parisian drawing room.'' I'll let you figure out what that means. :) It is pretty though: perfectly symmetrical square with lots of trees, a playground for the kiddies and pretty buildings. It just looks really Paris, you know? And unlike a lot of other parks here, they let you sit on the grass. I come here to eat my macarons in peace, where no one will notice and judge me for eating four of them back-to-back.






And speaking of macarons, holy cow!! Why haven't we caught on to these yet?! They should be selling them at SA!! So I got the 9-piece value pack, let's see if I can remember the flavors: chocolate (good); caramel (pretty good): citron (really good); hazelnut (good); raspberry (awesome); lavender-cassis (also awesome); mixed fruit (blech--gave this one to a pigeon); something else I can't remember, and; passion fruit-basil (amaaaaazing, the best!)

There's a Jewish neighborhood close by that has a bunch of falafel stands, including the one that supposedly serves the best falafel sandwich in the world--L'as du Fallafel. They have Lenny Kravitz's endorsement posted on their sign, so that's good enough for me. Actually, it's one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Very messy with falafel balls, cabbage slaw, cucumbers and yogurt sauce, tomato, hummus, eggplant, and hot sauce in a pita. I've been there twice already; I think the order guy recognizes me.




No comments:

Post a Comment